Podcast Interview: Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore Leverages VolunteerHub & Points of Light

https://volunteerhub.com/blog/foodbank-of-southeastern-virginia-and-the-eastern-shore

Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore Leverages VolunteerHub & Points of Light

Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore Volunteers

Listen to the full audio recording

In this podcast, we speak with DarnellGaddis, Director of Corporate Engagement at Foodbank of Southeastern  Virginia and the Eastern Shore, a Points of Light member. Learn how they  use VolunteerHub to improve volunteer experiences, streamline  operations, and simplify data reporting.

Can you tell me a little bit more about yourself, your role, and what your day-to-day looks like?

Darnell: Absolutely. As the Director of Corporate Engagement, I  oversee all our volunteer coordinators and manage all volunteer events  across our organization. I also build and maintain relationships with  local corporations and businesses that support us in various ways. I  stepped into this role in January of this year, so I've been here for  about six months. While I'm new to this particular position, I've been  working with volunteers for a long time and have thoroughly enjoyed the  experience so far.

What is the mission, values, and goals of the food bank?

Darnell: Our goal is to eliminate hunger in our area. Every day, we  work to help our neighbors combat food insecurity in our neighborhoods.  We serve a large area of approximately 4,700 square miles in  southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore. This region extends from  the Maryland-Delaware line, down the Eastern Shore, to the  Virginia-North Carolina line, and from the coast out to Suffolk, Isle of  Wight, and Franklin. This area, known as Western Tidewater, makes up a  significant portion of our service area in Virginia.

What kind of impact has your organization had on the community?

Darnell: We measure our efforts in pounds of food delivered or shared  with our community. This year, we hit a record 24 million pounds, the  highest we've ever achieved. While most food banks peaked during the  COVID period, reaching their maximum then, we distributed 19 million  pounds during that time. The need in our service area hasn't decreased  at all, and we're continually working to meet those increasing needs as  quickly as possible.

How many volunteers do you recruit each year and what roles do they fill?

Darnell: We have approximately 6,500 volunteers who contribute each  year. This year, we are on track to reach nearly 7,000 volunteers.

What types of roles do volunteers fill at the food bank?

Darnell: Our volunteers take on a wide range of tasks that my team  and the food bank team come up with. I have no hesitation in asking  people to step in and help us on the front lines.

Many volunteers help in the warehouse, sorting donated products or doing Quality Assurance shifts. Some participate in production events, such as packing backpacks for our Backpack Program, which serves about 75 schools throughout our service area with weekend food supplies.

We also rely on volunteers for food rescue. These volunteers drive our refrigerated trucks to grocery stores and businesses to pick up food donations and bring them back to us. Additionally, volunteers assist at our partner agencies, distributing food directly or meeting us at various locations for distributions.

Overall, we offer a wide variety of volunteer opportunities throughout our organization.

Can you talk a little bit about Points of Light? What does membership entail, and how does VolunteerHub help? 

Darnell: Points of Light is a national organization that  collaborates with the government and the White House. By using  VolunteerHub to track volunteer hours accurately, we can see the total  hours our volunteers contribute each year. If volunteers reach certain  milestones, such as 100, 200, or 300 hours, we can submit this  information to Points of Light.

Once qualified, Points of Light sends us pins—bronze, silver, or gold—and certificates to give to our volunteers. This recognition is highly appreciated by our volunteers and is a great way to thank them for their contributions. Although we regularly express our gratitude, any additional way to show our appreciation is valuable.

To become a Points of Light  organization, we need to meet specific criteria as a nonprofit.  Additionally, we must complete a training program, pass a quiz, and  receive approval to qualify as a Points of Light organization. 

What features of VolunteerHub do you find the most valuable?

Darnell: VolunteerHub makes it very easy for people to sign up to  volunteer. We use the calendar feature extensively, listing every event  and shift on our VolunteerHub site. This information is shared with our  on-site coordinators, whether they are partner agencies or staff  members. They use this feature to check in volunteers when they arrive.  Ideally, volunteers pre-register, making it as simple as hitting a  check-in button.

If volunteers haven't pre-registered, they can sign up on the spot using a simple QR code we created, which allows them to register from their cell phones. This system makes the process smooth and efficient for everyone involved.

Our volunteers often  praise us for how easy it is to sign up. Unlike other organizations that  may have a lengthy sign-up process, we can accommodate last-minute  volunteers. People can call us the same morning they want to volunteer,  and we can quickly get them started. This flexibility is something we  enjoy offering to our community.

How has VolunteerHub helped with engaging corporate partners?

Darnell: Our corporate and business partners really appreciate the  ability to easily make reservations for their teams. They can call and  say, for example, "We have 15 staff members who want to volunteer," or  "Our team of six wants to come out." I can create a reservation for them  and generate a personalized link. Everyone signs up through that link,  and they are automatically grouped together. This streamlined process  requires minimal effort on our end.

We also track each business's lifetime volunteer hours. For returning businesses, we calculate the total hours their employees have volunteered and convert those hours into a dollar amount based on the national average for the value of volunteer time in our area. This allows us to show how many meals their time and energy have provided. If they have also made financial donations, we add that to their total contribution.

Some  businesses have donated time and money equivalent to over a million  meals. They often share this achievement on social media, highlighting  the impact they are making through our organization. This approach not  only shows our appreciation for their efforts but also demonstrates to  the community how we all work together to make a difference.

What has your experience been like with VolunteerHub's training, client success, and support teams?

Darnell: I have to tell you, the organization I was with previously  used a different volunteer database, but your system is fantastic. I can  send an email with a question or issue, and you respond within 45  minutes to an hour at most. Usually, it's even faster than that. You're  always willing to go back and forth to clarify questions, help me figure out what we need, or make changes to existing setups.

When I  stepped into this role, VolunteerHub was already in place, so there was a  learning curve. However, you provided quick turnaround training for me  and the two new staff members who joined with me. You answered all our questions with great patience, and we are extremely grateful for that.

How can someone volunteer with the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore?

Darnell: The easiest way to volunteer with us is through our website, which is www.foodbankonline.org.  Many people mistakenly miss the "org" at the end, so it's important to  note. Once on our site, you can click on the volunteer tab at the top.  Our calendar is divided into three sections: Eastern Shore, Western  Tidewater, and Southeastern Virginia (including areas like Virginia  Beach and Portsmouth). You can choose which calendar corresponds to your  location or interest.

Each calendar lists all the details you need—times, dates, and  descriptions of volunteer opportunities. You can sign up directly from  the website with just a few clicks. When you arrive at the chosen date  and time, we'll assign your role and provide any necessary training  on-site.

Login or Signup to post a comment